Tuesday, August 31, 2010


PREPENT5771 Day 22 8.31 Lights out

High Holy Days Journey with Amichai Lau-Lavie: 40 ways in 40 days to find your focus


On a grumpy low functioning tired day like today, I pause to re-consider my sleeping patterns - how much sleep do I really need in order to function well, and to function best? Am I getting it?

I can blame’s lame energy and getting almost nothing done funk on mercury retrograding as all else around me did today, or on the fact that it’s the last day of August and really end of summer is here, but I think it has to do with how much I sleep. Am I giving myself enough time to sleep? And if not, what can I do about it?

I’m not a nursing mother soldier restless urbanite or 2-jobs migrant worker, so I have, gratefully, no excuses. It’s up to me, up to each one of us under different circumstances, to make sure we each as much sleep as we need and deserve.

And there’s plenty of sleep disorder around to demonstrate just how unsimple and complex this basic act of sleeping has become.

My disorder is of the restless over active kind, the long list of tasks ahead and things to think about and emails to send. I’d say that on average I sleep 5-6 hours a night, and I know that’s 2 hours below average of what a man my age should be getting, according to medical research, etc.

I need to call my own bedtime, lights out, not even reading with a flashlight rule. And abide.

We set off our alarm clocks for waking up. Maybe we need to set some to go to sleep.

Exceptions allowed. But if I want to function well and beyond, mercury and other planets providing, I need to be in bed by 11pm. If I DO get to sleep soon I can get a decent 7 hours.

But going to bed at 11pm is, though responsible, a serious lifestyle change. Maybe not that serious, but still, a change.

What’s your bedtime? I know that for some, and specifically some readers of this blog, sleep is a big issue. For others, It’s no big deal. Either way: take a deep breath, and take a few minutes to think about your state of sleep and what can be improved about it. Just one first step. Even a change of sheets.

Goodnight.


Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas as we move forward and, as always, you may find more information about our High Holy Day services by visiting,www.higholidays.com.
TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS DAILY EMAIL THROUGH YOU KIPPUR - just click: http://tinyurl.com/subscribeprepent

No comments:

Post a Comment